posted to alt.sailing.asa
John Cairns

Default What boat for me?

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message

Well I'm going to attempt to get a thread going that actually has a
little bit to do with sailing. And maybe provide some initial
direction for my search. In the last couple of days we have had
chicken pluckin stories, gay theme movies, Ebay woes, a little current
lib/conserv debate and an informal post in survey about concern for
Doug's truthfulness regarding his address (who cares, BTW). Must be
January.

So I need a boat. I'll give minimum specs and you suggest some
classic or not so classic plastic.

1. I would like something in the 35 plus or minus foot range, sloop
rigged, aft cockpit.

2. I'm a woodworker by hobby, experienced with glass work and custom
painting, good with plumbing, electrical, mechanical and enjoy
bringing things back from the brink, so a fixer upper is fine, in fact
desired. This indicates that age is not a factor.

3. I sail in the world of many sand bars, with desitinations,
anchorages, and islands that require no deep stick under a boat. Like
to keep draft to less than five feet, preferably much less.

4. I'm not going to live aboard, however trips of several weeks to a
month at a time are probable, so living amentities or the potential to
install the same are somewhat important. ( this does not mean room for
a home theatre)

5.I sail in hot, wet land. I don't care about AC but want good
cross and top hatch ventilation (screenable, those mosquitos like hot,
wet land also)

6. WHile I like performance, I would give up a half knot or so for
stout. Keep in mind, I had a Columbia 8.7 for a long time and failed
to ever bury her lee rail. I liked that.

7. Give slight preference to at least partially skeg protected
rudder.

8. I think the change to more beam that took place in the late
seventies to early eighties was a good thing. This indicates that age
might be a factor.

9. PHRF not important. I don't want a dog but when I race, I prefer
to crew on someone else's boat. And for some reason, I can't tell the
difference whether I'm going 6 knots or 5.5 knots in the big scheme of
things. It is the perception of speed and power that matter.

10. I prefer classic lines. The spaceship look of the later Hunters,
and anyone who is following in those footsteps, turns me off. Must be
my age.

11. prefer wheel steering but would retrofit. Most 35's would have it
anyway. Would retrofit to rack and pinion. That is one of the things
I can agree with Boob, Swab, matrix inhabitant, etc. It is absolutely
slick and very responsive with great feedback. But I would like a
close to nuetral (weather) helm on a full speed beam reach.

12. for now, no price range limitations.

I may never get there, but who knows, so give me your suggestion and
I'll check it out maybe add it to the search list. And I won't blast
your submission, just quietly add it to the list or reject it. Of
course, more than likely you will blast each others.

On my list so far:

Endeavour 35 - meets most requirements. Downside - draft pushes 5'
and there are not a lot of them out there available. May be some
other things, I have not done a complete analysis.

http://tinylink.com/?ayx5UtyYFc

This one is even in your neck of the woods, looks to be priced in the
fixer-upper range.

http://tinylink.com/?gDImUn3CCO

As you can see from this example in Chicago, plenty of wood to fill your
need.

John Cairns