posted to rec.boats.electronics
Spammy Spamson

Default Copying computer CD Charts into a chartplotter

On 20 Jan 2006 18:25:09 -0800, "Chris" wrote:

Hi Thinking of buying a new Garmin Chartplotter GPSMAP 172C which you
also can buy 356 blank data card.

Can I then upload my computer charts
on the card and read as the blue charts do? A lot cheaper and I have
more computer charts that Blue chart offers. Assume will need a few
pieces of hard/ software to convert?
Chris

Not sure what you mean by "356 data card", but I think I can answer
all your questions:

Garmin Chart Plotter Hardware ONLY supports (displays) Garmin charts.
Check the area of coverage you need then look up the cost of an
"unlock code" for that area. See Garmins "Blue Charts". You cannot
upload whatever you want to as it (uploading to GPS) is done via
Garmins "Map Source" program that comes with the Blue Charts. Map
Source only recognizes Garmin Chart files of course.

*tip* if you do buy "Blue Charts" try to find a copy of Map source
version 6.5 The later versions have dropped the ability to display
and track your vessel simultaneously on the GPS unit AND a laptop when
connected via a USB or 232. That's a bonus for me and my boats
layout.. 276c in the cockpit, laptop below. Otherwise the map Source
program is good and easy to use.

regards

Capt Spammy
(i have a 276c)

to reply do NOT remove the "spam" from my e-mail address.

*if you need 6.5 and have Skype lemme know (;-)