Ian George

Default Why do people buy cruising catamarans ?

While reading rec.boats.cruising, I noticed Marc Onrust
felt compelled to write:

This guy survived a pretty severe storm in a catamaran:
http://www.eboards4all.com/531993/messages/270.html

Gee, for all his experience, it looks this guy had to abandon ship
effectively because of a parachute anchor failure. A few points out of
that article which I think are salient;

1. The 'parachute' was 18 years old, had been knocked up out of cargo
netting and was 10' (diameter, I assume). No backup was carried.

2. It took some time to sort out a bridle and keep the vessel head to
wind. The warps were 12mm. The impression of the article was that the
vessel would not ride to the anchor and bridles as deployed.

3. Despite the above, the sailor declares that he didn't like his
experience, and would not recommend a sea-anchor again.

The problem I have with items 1 and 2 here are that they could have
been avoided if he had carried a correctly specified and set up para
anchor in the first place, and, in the event that it was 18 years old,
carried a backup for it. (He doesn't mention ever having the parachute
checked / serviced / repaired in any of that time).

I wonder how he would contrast that with this experienced multihull
sailors analysis?

http://www.katiekat.net/Cruise/KatieKatParaAnch.html

I note the following from the second link:

1. For a slightly smaller boat, a 15' Diameter, professionally rigged
Para Anchor with 16mm warps is carried. A backup is carried.

2. The two deployments on this page were carried out as tests and
training for the (husband and wife) crew in conditions of 20 and then
30kts, and showed up several problems that could be learned from when
anchoring to truly horrible conditions.

3. Later, when having to deploy for real on a passage, things went
much more somoothly:

http://www.katiekat.net/Cruise/Katie...U.html#1029103

I believe from the report he's written, had the vessel in question
been carrying a serviceable, correctly specified and set up parachute
anchor, he would be sailing his vessel today rather than searching for
it.

For those interested, here is some useful info at the following link.
I am not affiliated in any capacity other than satisfied customer.

http://www.paraanchors.com.au/

Ian