posted to rec.boats.paddle,rec.boats.paddle.touring,rec.boats,alt.inventors
John Weiss

Default Kayak Cruising Speed (was: Aw, Barnacles!)

wrote...

Is a motivated 'yakker that good, to paddle at 5.4 knots?? I hear that
3 knots is a lot of work...or do I have water in my ears....

Read the reviews in Sea Kayaker. Many of the boats tested can be pushed
above 5 knots. I've seen 6 knots in my 18' Epic, but not for very long.
Cruising at 4 knots isn't much of a feat in a touring boat. No comment
about your ears.

No wind/current, I cruise at 3 knots in my home-built Pygmy Coho with minimal
("I can do this all day") effort. I can go 4 knots with significant effort; but
can barely hit 5, which appears to be "hull speed."

These have been verified several times by GPS. Anyone else have numbers for
their kayaks?