posted to rec.boats.electronics
Jack Erbes

Default Raymarine self compatibility

Larry wrote:

Daniel, if your scanner has a round dome, take the dome off and inspect
it. We're on our 3rd...or is it 4th, I forget....

The water vapor the stupid dome breathes in...snip

This is about the 94th time we have heard Larry's rant about Raymarine
radar scanners on this newsgroup. I have this boilerplate post in my
draft folders simply to bring some sense of objectivity to this every
time it comes up again.

Somehow, when I replied to Daniel's question, I had a hunch it would
come to this. So here's my side of the story:

In defense of Raymarine equipment, I have looked at and bought and sold
a large number of Raymarine radars that had been installed for anywhere
from 2-3 to up to 6 or 8 years. And I have yet to see a single one that
had anything more that light surface oxidation/minor salt air corrosion
on the aluminum plates and covers and some minor surface rust on the
magnetron core. Without a single exception, the PCB's and the rotating
antenna (much like a PCB) showed *NO* evidence of corrosion.

Let me guess, you installed all three of your "destroyed" systems
yourself...

If those were corroded as you described, I'm almost willing to bet that
it was because you sealed the vents and/or somehow managed to lead water
into your radar housings with an improper cable run and poorly sealed
cable entry.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)