Jonathan Ganz

Default Why do people buy cruising catamarans ?

In article ,
sherwindu wrote:

"Capt. JG" wrote:

But your making all sorts of assumptions about monos! On the one had, you're
making the assumption of a freak wave with no preparation or warning - on
the other, you're assuming that all the hatches, etc. on the mono are closed
and ready for battle. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

My point is that if you close your hatches and prepare your boat properly,
you have a good chance of coming through a bad storm. Naturally, if you
don't, you decrease your chances of keeping the boat afloat.

But, what I'm saying is that you're ignoring the same advice that
would apply with a mutli. For example, if you make sure you're
prepared for the worst, then you have a good chance of coming through
a bad storm on either type of vessel.

Actually, they decrease, since you won't be out as long as with a mono. Now,
if you want to argue that way, you could say that SINCE multis go faster,
then people would be tempted to select smaller weather windows, and thus
open themselves up to greater danger. :-)

What I meant was that any boat is exposed more to bad weather possibilities
on a long voyage. Actually you can get stung on shorter hops. I left Key

Hurricanes don't just appear out of nowwhere... they're quite
predictable in the general sense. Sounds like bad planning.

OK. What do you do if your multihull does flip over? I hear about crawling
into one of the watertight compartments, but I wonder about the practicality of
this, and where do you go from there?

Fair enough question. You have food, water, dry clothes, batteries. You have
access to the topside (bottom of boat) through hatches built for that
purpose. You have an Eprib, which you use. You have filed a sail plan
with friends, so they'll know when to start putting out the
alarm. While you wait for rescue, you relax because you're not in a
washing machine going round and round. You're in a stable (though
upside down) boat.. actually more stable than right side up. You're
fine.

You don't need to crawl into a watertight compartment, because those
compartments are sealed. You just stay in the inverted living area.

Please describe your offshore, extreme weather sailing on a mono that causes
you to have these views!

You can find some of them in my recent posts to this thread. I have no first
hand
experience sailing multihulls, but am basing my thoughts on how sailboat
behave,
in general, and what I know about Fluid Mechanics, Stability, etc., from an
engineering point of view.

Since you have no first had experience with multis, then I submit that
you're not qualified to say that they are dangerous. For example, if I
have an advanced degree in business, that doesn't qualify me to claim
that a McDonald's franchise is a bad deal because I've never tried
fast food. :-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com