Peggie Hall

Default West Marine is Terrible

Eisboch wrote:
The root of the problem, whether you are talking West Marine, Wal-Mart or
health insurance for that matter, is the consumer. We all want it cheap.
We expect competent help and service, but in their absence, we'll take the
cheap.

The problem with WM is, they are no longer cheap...in fact, they have
become the most expensive. They bought out all their "bricks and
mortar" competition, but as online chandleries continue to poliferate, I
believe their perceived monopolistic attitude has already begun to bite
them in the @$$...I expect them to be in chapter 11 within another 5
years. I THINK they'll survive it, but only by coming marine
"convenience stores"...on every corner, but only stocking those few
items people typically need right now, and therefore have no choice but
to pay list+50% for.

A shame...because it was only 10 years ago that they were the
superstar...their people were the most knowledgable...best prices...but
then they decided to buy out everyone else and it's been all downhill
since. The history of their stock price since they first went public in
the mid '90s tells the story...and IMO also forecasts their future.

--
Peggie