posted to rec.boats.building
Glenn Ashmore

Default Attaching a set of Winches to cabin top

Winches don't usually come with backing plates or base plates. First,
unless the cabin top is relatively flat you heed to fabricate a base to even
it out. I cut a plywood disk the same diameter as the winch base and
wrapped in in poly sheet. Then I taped the cabin top about 1" wider than
the base and laid a blob of epoxy thickened with silica and milled glass in
the middle. Pushed the disk into the blob and sculpted the edges with a
plastic spreader. Tried to get it level so the inboard side was even with
the deck and the outboard side had a low rise. After the epoxy cured I
sanded it smooth and set the bolt pattern template on top. After removing
the liner inside I drilled about 1/4" wider than the bolts, closed the
bottom side of the holes with good masking tape and filled with unthinned
epoxy. After that cured I drilled the final holes to fit the bolts and
painted. Keep the drill straight up and down or you will have trouble
fitting the backing plate.

I then cut a square of 1/4" 5086 aluminum plate about 2" wider than the
winch and drilled it to the bolt circle. I spread a layer of 4200 on the
flat and with a volunteer down below to hold the plate and start the nuts
fed the bolts through the wench base, the deck and the backing plate and
tightened them down just a little past finger tight so the 4200 squished out
a little. A couple of days later I finished tightening the bolts and
replaced the liner.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Thomas Wentworth" wrote in message
How to go about attaching two winches to the top of cabin. These winches
would be for spinnaker halyard and headsail halyard.

Do the winches come with a base plate? How do you attach the plate of
support for the winches? When the bolts, screws, or fasteners come
through the cabin top there is a ceiling liner under. Do the fasteners
come right through the liner? And then is there a back plate you attach
to the inside on the liner?

Also ,,, a block tack track. ? Attach?