James

Default replace mercruiser 888 with smaller engine

It'll be a hassle and expensive. If you want to go slow then just do it
with the motor you have. It's not like you will save a bunch of gas just
because you swap out for a slightly smaller engine. Boats use a lot of gas
no matter what the engine. Unless you are having problems with the 888. In
that case you could replace it with a more modern engine. Just about
anything will connect to the outdrive. At worst you may need a new
bellhousing. I believe the new 4 banger uses a front engine mount, where
are the engine mounts on your 888? Not many accessories will move so you
will need to buy a lot of stuff. I'm assuming you don't care about resale
as your crusier is possibly underpowered already and putting a smaller motor
in it will reduce it's resale.

In any case there is no reason to replace your early alpha with the 2nd
version. The differences between the two alphas is trivial.

"mongo" wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to replace the old Mercruiser 888-- 188 hp, alpha 1 sterndrive--
on my 23 ft cruiser with a smaller, new 3 liter 135 hp unit with
generation 2 alpha outdrive.

I don't need to zip around at planing speed.

Can the conversion be done without major trauma?

Will the existing transom hole be OK.

What about engine bearers, steering etc.

Your advice appreciated