posted to rec.boats.electronics
Geert Maene

Default Varistor to shield voltage spikes

Len wrote:
Hi group,

I want to use a welding machine on board and power it with my onboard
6 kW generator. The welding machine is a AC/DC HF-TIG with a lot of
electronics inside. I have no documentation of my generator so I
wanted to deal with the possibility of voltage spikes fi directly
after stopping the welding-arc.

My ships chandler gave me the following advice:
In the power cord add an automatic fuse. Directlly after the fuse
connect the phase and the null using a 235v Varistor. Under 235 volts
it'll maintain high resistance and all will function normally. When
the voltage exceeds 235 it will short circuit and the fuse will break
the connection.

What do you think of this setup. Will it operate fast enough to really
prevent a voltage spike to reach my welding machine?

Regards, Len,
S/v Present

What kind of metal do you want to weld? Alu or steel or stainless steel?
Most power you wil need for ALU. For 10mm alu you wil need 500amp AC
high frequent.
So if you will weld at 80% of the max, I don't think you wil have a problem.

--
Geert Maene.