posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
Peter Clinch

Default Essential Kit

muzz wrote:
Yes I'm afraid I will still be going out alone!

The usual advice is the old Chestnut "less than 3 there shall never
be!", but note that the same people that give you this advice were very
happy to support Pete Bray's solo Atlantic kayak crossing, so it has to
be seen that it's a guideline rather than a rule set in stone.

Things like split paddles are a bit of a no-brainer, because unlike
walking gear the excess weight and bulk isn't really an issue. I'd
always take splits and a paddle float if I was out on my own (if you
know anyone going to Canada you can get MEC's paddle floats for half of
what the equivalent costs here, or make up your own). I always take a
tow line, but if you're on your own then it's of rather less use than a
float!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK