Skipper

Default Giant Mexican Needlefish

Harry Krause wrote:

Skipper wrote:

Found an interesting page on the Giant Mexican Needlefish this
morning. Reminded me of an encounter I had with these creatures while
diving off a rocky shore in the Cortez many years ago. In that
encounter I was approached by hundreds of these 5-foot toothy
palagics. The school came directly for me and circled in ever
tightening constrictions. When the school was within touching
distance, I made a hasty retreat by diving directly through the
circling threat.

http://www.mexfish.com/fish/gmneed/gmneed.htm

BTW, the site also has an excellent fish ID section:
http://tinyurl.com/9939l

I believe the closest he ever got to the Gulf of California was a trip
to Tijuana, and that his "knowledge" of that area is cribbed from the
Classic Comics version of Steinbeck's writings and travel and fishing
postings to the internet.

Can't say I blame an East Coaster for being upset at seeing the broad
palate of great gamefish offered in West Coast waters. Hey, just enjoy
what you have, Krause. Lot's of sport in those little East Coast
croakers 'n grunts. Heck, that's what they make 4 oz. test for. And
let's face it, Krause, fished out is fished out. And let's not forget
the added sport you get dodging overly aggressive Floriduh fish
cops...slot limits...and contaminated waters.

On the West Coast it's "fish on." On the East Coast it's "oh my god, MY
GOD, it's a...it's a...FISH!"

http://www.mexfish.com/fish/fish.htm

--
Skipper