posted to rec.boats.building

Default Removing seized seacocks from fiberglass boat

Hi,

I have a Cheoy Lee clipper. The prior owner plugged two of the thru
hulls that were used for the head. I want to remove these thru hulls
and glass and fair the hulls. My boat is on the hard right now. They
both are very old, and seized bronze seacocks manufactured 30 years
ago, one used for water intake, the other for waste discharge. The sea
cocks are completely corroded and seized. The outer flange is 1 3/4".
I've tried heat, liquid wrench, wood/hammer, etc. Since I have to
glass and fair the original holes, is there any downside to me taking a
hole saw and drilling a hole 2" and remove the thru hull in about 2
minutes instead of the hours and frustration that I have invested in
the project thus far?