Rural Knight

Default Reading the Clouds

"noah" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 00:26:49 GMT, "Rural Knight"
wrote:

"noah" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 09:04:16 -0500, Q
wrote:

To all:

A lot of folks have their favorite "telltales" from nature indicating
future weather. Woolly caterpillars are a favorite of country folk.
I found the following regarding clouds:
http://www.americanboating.org/quiz9.htm

Anyone have any other favorite indicators? Minus 10 points for "Red
Sky at night..."

The ruptured disk in my back is pretty good at predicting storms, but
even better is my mother's "Weather rock".

She's in her eighties, lives in the Adirondack Mountains, and has this
rock sitting on the front lawn.

If it's black and shiny, it's raining.
If it's pale gray, it frosted last night.
If it's white, it's snowing, or snowed last night.
If she can't see it: heavy fog or snow.
If it's rolling across the yard, it's time to get the wash off the
clothesline, it's gonna be windy.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

I haven't seen that in years - I love it.

Later,

Tom

..."I haven't seen that in years..."

...Uhm,...did Dad know you were lookin' at Mom's "weather rock"?
)

My Great Grandfather, who was a Midwest farmer all his life,
used to say something similar to that. I hadn't heard it in years -
more than I care to remember actually. :)

Nice to see it again.

Later,

Tom