posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Default Any thoughts onhow to make this boat better

.... You used the example of an empty jug vs one
1/2 full of water... is the water in the jug "in water" or
is it in the jug?

Dave Doe wrote:
It's in the jug. Where's the jug? What's the overall effect of the jug?

It is lower in the water because of its increased weight.
Hence, increased displacement.... it should be very obvious
that the water in the jug has weight.

Not a lot no.

Which means yes.

Correct, never denied (2nd or 3rd or 4th time I've had to say that?).

Like 2nd or 3rd or 4th time you've "had" to say that 'water
doesn't weigh anything in water.'

The righting factor is almost purely *density* related though.

No, it isn't.

It is related to weight (pushing down on mass) and bouyancy
(pushing up on volume).

... Hint:
think about what you're 'in' and what you 'are' and what you 'have' to
provide righting moment.

I am explaining exactly that. Density has nothing to do with
the basics of how stability is achieved.

Clearly - any material not exceeding the density of what you are 'in' is
going to be poor.

Wrong.

Sorry if you're a pedantic *******

Trying to clear up your prejudices & misconceptions makes me
a pedantic *******?

Thanks.

DSK