posted to rec.boats.electronics
Len

Default Varistor to shield voltage spikes

Hi Larry, thanks for responding, mate.

I do use an outlet directly off the genset.
I wouldn't weld via the ships net... might fry the combined
charger/inverter.

Point is the genset may deliver voltage spikes (according to anyone
here I speak to) when I use it to operate the welder. Particularly
when I stop the welding-arc the genset could give a surge.
I use the varistor/fuse to shut the power off when voltage exceeds
235v but I wonder if this really protects the welder...
I mean when the varistor senses 235 it shortcircuits but that takes
time. In this time only a superb being knows what can happen...or?

Thanks, Len.

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 08:17:17 -0500, Larry wrote:

Silly me....I'd just disconnect the boat from the genset while I was
using the welder. Switch off the boat's breaker and run the welder
directly from an outlet on the genset, even if you have to add it.

KISS....(c;

Len wrote in
:

Hi group,

I want to use a welding machine on board and power it with my onboard
6 kW generator. The welding machine is a AC/DC HF-TIG with a lot of
electronics inside. I have no documentation of my generator so I
wanted to deal with the possibility of voltage spikes fi directly
after stopping the welding-arc.

My ships chandler gave me the following advice:
In the power cord add an automatic fuse. Directlly after the fuse
connect the phase and the null using a 235v Varistor. Under 235 volts
it'll maintain high resistance and all will function normally. When
the voltage exceeds 235 it will short circuit and the fuse will break
the connection.

What do you think of this setup. Will it operate fast enough to really
prevent a voltage spike to reach my welding machine?

Regards, Len,
S/v Present