posted to rec.boats.building
Keith Hughes

Default Why water-cooled?

Jim,

Keith,

.....why *wouldn't* you water cool an engine?

Good question, and the answer is that my original question ultimatley ends
up trying to answer the bigger question.....

But the 'bigger question' seems to be "why not use a gas guzzling, high
polluting, incredibly noisy engine with questionable reliability since
the *initial* cost is lower?". The *only* thing the old air cooled
outboards had going for them (and this relates directly to a Briggs or
Tecumseh as well) was lower purchase price.

Back when the world was young, I did some kart and mini-bike racing, and
I've "rebuilt" quite a few Briggs and Tecumseh motors. Unless they've
changed significantly, they are basically disposable in design. Single
piston ring, no rod or wrist-pin bearings, non-sleaveable
non-replaceable jug, things like that. They would be difficult to
"marine-ize" (adding additional cost as well), and the reliability is
just not there.

As someone else posted, look for a deal on a used outboard. From a
reliability perspective, you'd be better off with a 10 year old outboard
(with some minor servicing) than you would with a brand new B&S or
Tecumseh conversion. Remember, you still have to have the shaft casing,
waterproof gear box, shafts, propeller, etc., all of which are going to
add more cost than the B&S or Tecumseh itself.

Good luck!

Keith Hughes