Default Which Type of VHF Radio Antenna Is Suitable for a 18-Ft Fiberglass Center Console?

I am going to add a fix-mounted VHF radio in my boat. I would like to
know whether I should get a 3dB 3-ft antenna or a 6dB 8-ft antenna to
mount on the T-top. My questions a

- Books and people in this newsgroup recommend 6dB 8-ft antenna for a
small powered boat. This sounds good. But I am wondering whether a
8-ft antenna is too large for my 18-ft boat. Will this make the boat
"look" very top-heavy? Do people really use a 8-ft antenna in a small
boat like mine?

- The other alternative is a 3dB 3-ft antenna and accepting the
reduced range. Does a 3dB antenna provide a good enough range given
the fact that I won't go too far away from the shore (because the boat
is considered as a "bay boat")?

- According to post in this newsgroup, we need a metal plate for
grounding if we use a 3dB antenna, and a fiberglass boat doesn't have
it. My boat is a fiberglass boat. What's the alternative? Does this
mean that I cannot use 3dB antenna?

Thanks for any info in advance.

Jay Chan