posted to rec.boats.paddle
Rob

Default Death by Eskimo Roll?

You're the physician - see mine earlier - what IS the "vagus" nerve? And
does the source Huthison cites have any credibility? (Keatinge, W.R -
Survival in cold water - Blackwell Scientific Publishers (1969)

"Steven" wrote in message
ups.com...
well, as i said, it could happen. and as a physician, i have seen cases
of aspiration pneumonia where people die pretty quickly. however, as a
paddler, i have had water up my nose constantly, and i have never even
come close to this. I suspect in order for this to be a reality, it
would be necessary for water to go much further than your nose. the
original claim that water up the nose can be fatal, IMHO, is wrong.