posted to rec.boats.paddle
Rob

Default Death by Eskimo Roll?

Well, you omitted the rest of the reference: " - - bear in mind that - -
in some cases sudden death has been caused by water being driven up the
nose. This has either slowed or arrested the heart through a reflex action
involving the vagus nerve". (I guess I could Google that if I wanted to.)

And he then cites the relevant source.

So it makes much more sense I guess to read it in it's entirety. Never heard
of it myself, but clearly there is a precedent.

As to his style, bear in mind that book was first published in 1976 (mine is
1997 - the ref is on p.36) and writign styles and attitudes have moved a bit
since the days of the "expert" who knows it all and to whom we ahve to
defer. Today, would it would be written in a more holistic and
self-exploratoty way, to encourage personal discovery?

Anyway, the man is something of a guru in his own way!

"Andy Baxter" wrote in message

In Derek Hutchinson’s book, “The Complete Book of Sea Kayaking”, on page
48 while talking about nose clips he states “…in some cases sudden death
has been caused by water being driven up the nose”. Really? It makes it
sound like we cheat death by not wearing a nose plug.

IMO the book is less than impressive, some interesting material, but a lot
of “look at me” stuff like he wants to score points to nail some kayaking
chicks.

Has anyone heard of death by water being driven up the nose while
kayaking?