rhys

Default dingy question - another Porta-Bote fan (in depth review)

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 19:51:24 -0500, "TriciaJean192 at comcast dot net"
"TriciaJean192 at comcast dot net" wrote:

For what it's worth, we've run into several people using Porta-Botes as
dinghies and none are contemplating going back to an inflatable. On the
other hand, there are a few inflatable owners that are considering
switching to Portas when they get back to the states.

Interesting comments. The overall impression I'm getting is that the
Porta-Bote wins in quite a few, but by no means all, situations. For
under 30' boats as a dinghy, if you like a small engine, hate davits,
etc.

But I've heard that it's not quite rugged enough before, not in the
sense that it falls apart, but that the auxiliary stuff and seats are
not up to the quality of the folding hull itself.

I'll stick with my RIB, which is for me the best of both worlds. But I
would consider a PortaBote as a second tender I could stow if I could
get decent oars and a rugged seat.

Rowing a RIB can be done, but it ain't pretty.

THanks,
R.