posted to rec.boats.building
Brian Whatcott

Default Should I or shouldn't I ,,,,,,,,,,,

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 19:03:17 -0500, Matt Colie
wrote:

derbrym,

///
The word rebuild is old navy. It seems that, in days of yore, a navy
was allowed just so many ships. When one good too rough to maintain,
they would "rebuild" it. This was a job where they would take the ship
into a drydock two ships long and then strip all the guns, rigging and
fittings of the old hull build a new hull infront of it. Since they
would pull the inner keel, lower fretlocks and floors out of the
original hull, that would pretty much lock them into the same ship they
just brought in. By the time the rebuild was done, there was no
original hull left, but there was a new Constitution ready for sea.

////
Matt Colie

Like the axe once owned by Washington: its been rehandled five times
and had three new heads?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK