JimH

Default fiberglass repair question

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:26:37 -0500, " JimH" jimh_osudadATyahooDOT
com wrote:

" JimH" jimh_osudadATyahooDOT com wrote in message

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 09:12:06 -0600, "RB"
wrote:

A corner of my 18' cc o/b boat got knocked off. It's at a spot aft
where
the gunnel, transom, and flat top side of the gunnel all come together.
The
spot is approx 4" diameter.

I'm fixing to stick some auto bondo or similar on it and then
mold/shape
for
the right contour.

it wont stick or last for any length of time. auto bondo is entirely
different with different resins and catalysts. what you want is
marine tex. with proper preparation, it will last for a long time.

The question is how to be able to smooth it on with minimum surface
roughness. There used to be a number of tricks for doing that, such as
paint stirrer paddle kept wet by dipping in water. Is this still the
easiest way to be able to soft mold the patch and get it close to where
it
needs to be before I start shaping when dry?

go to walmart and get a set of cheap spreaders for 98 cents. wipe
them with a rag that has acetone applied to it - you can use unscented
nail polish remover also between applications...

If I need to, I can finish it with glazing putty, before painting.

over fill with marine tex, sand to finish smoothness then paint. no
putty needed.

A side question regarding MarineTex.....can gelcoat be applied over it?

Bump...........what say you Tom?

you apply the gel coat over the paint so why not?

No, I am planning to apply gel coat over the MarineTex.........no painting.

As I can apply it over fiberglass I would guess this will be OK....right?