Jeff

Default Why do people buy cruising catamarans ?

Bryan wrote:
Interesting perspectives and civil to boot.

We'll see what we can do about that.

I really think if you know the type of sailing you plan to do the right boat
will jump out at you.

If all we (my wife and I) wanted to sail were the East Coast and Caribbean
we would most likely sail a cat. We want to sail across the pond and feel
the mono is safer and more comfortable for that application.

Comfort is very subjective, but safety is not. There's absolutely no
evidence that monohulls are safer. On the contrary, for a variety of
reasons, cats are a lot safer than monohulls.

I'm not sure my PDQ would be my first choice for an Atlantic crossing,
but they've done it. A large number of them have been to Bermuda
because a few of the old owners do an annual rendezvous there, and one
of the charter companies delivered through Bermuda. A Prout (with a
very conservative rig) might be a better choice for the passage, but
then you'd give up some performance in your local cruising. Of
course, you have the same compromises in monohulls.

The cat is built with a hatch in the bottom for a reason, they do flip.

Actually, most cats don't have the hatch, because, contrary to "urban
legend," cruising cats don't flip. OK, they've flipped a few times.

But, I challenge you to find even a single link to where a modern
production cruising cat capsized while being cruised. Invariably,
you'll find the story was about a racing cat (or more likely a tri),
or a homemade or archaic design.

BTW, consider that virtually every carter cat in the Caribbean sailed
there on its own bottom, mostly from France and South Africa.

Not
a problem if there is someone to get you before you get washed off.

Washed off? I think I'd poke the epirb and wait down below for a
while. Meanwhile, I'd thank my lucky stars that I didn't have a
monohull, which at this point would likely be headed toward the bottom.

Certainly roominess goes to the cat. Cost to purchase goes to the mono.
Speeds are comparable. You can make a lists that go on and on.

true for roominess and cost. Speed depends on how you measure it - by
the foot cats are faster, by the dollar maybe not. By the sail area
that must be handled, cats are definitely faster. But if you like
gensets and A/C's, the cat can lose any advantage.

In the end you will buy what you want and defend that decision because you
want to validate the decision you made. I include myself in that statement.

me too.

Bryan

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ironically, Bob imagines a time in the future when a cat might be the
best match for his needs.

Thanks for keeping this thread civil, Jeff :-)
In the real world I can fully understand and appreciate the clear
advantages that a 36 foot Cat has over my boat. And I'm sure you can
see my side as well regarding the "fun factor" aspect. But for cruising
and spending long periods aboard, the Cat is a clear winner if you can
meet the price point. I have an open mind about it. You buy what suits
your situation, and sometimes passion (such as mine for a slender
tender hull) can injure a cruisers dreams in a very obvious way.
As I said, if we start looking at a part-time home on the water, a 40
foot Cat is a great compromise vs. a 50 or even 60 foot mono.

RB
Beneteau First 35s5 http://hometown.aol.com/bobsprit/index.html
NY