posted to rec.boats.building
Jim Newell

Default Why water-cooled?

Keith,

.....why *wouldn't* you water cool an engine?

Good question, and the answer is that my original question ultimatley ends
up trying to answer the bigger question.....

With boat motors, even small ones costing so much money, why are there not
more conversions out there running an older functional lower unit, and some
sort of lawn/vertical Briggs or Techumse engine.

.....I know that over time, this question has been beat to death! ....but
there is always a "catch" in life, and the motor is becomming the "catch" in
this case that cuts me out of participation.

"Keith Hughes" wrote in message
news

Jim Newell wrote:

Why are smaller outboard motors water-cooled?

I am thinking 5 - 9 HP engines.

I understand why inboard, inboard/outboard, and larger outboards are
water-cooled; but why are smaller outboard engines water-cooled as well?

Wouldn't air-cooling be simpler?

Simpler, yes, but not my much - outboard water pumps are pretty simple
IME. And air cooled engines are nowhere near as efficient. Air cooled
engines are forced to run richer to maintain low enough combustion
temperatures under heavy loads and high ambient temps. More fuel use, more
emissions. Sitting out on the water, why *wouldn't* you water cool an
engine?

Keith Hughes