posted to rec.boats.building
derbyrm

Default Should I or shouldn't I ,,,,,,,,,,,

OK, it has been eight years since Constitution was sailed, but then it takes
a while and money to assemble and train a crew that size.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Constitution

I'd be surprised if you could afford a boat that would handle the seas, and
cannon balls, that those ships have seen.

Also, given the plethora of lawyers and the thousands of tourists aboard
during a year, they are probably in pretty good shape.

My point, of course, is that wood is an excellent material for boat
building. Low tech, so maintenance is available anywhere in the world, and
well proven thru use.

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

"Jasper Windvane" wrote in message
The USS Constitution doesn't sail anymore and I don't know about the
Victory. I am talking a boat that actually goes out to SEA.

"derbyrm" wrote in message
Both HMS Victory and USS Constitution are wooden and are over 200 years
old. It's just a question of maintenance.

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

"Jasper Windvane" wrote in message
Here is the scenario; find an old wooden sailboat, circa 1955, and
speak to owner. He wants boat gone.

Boat is very cheap. It is a caravel planked boat. It has been taken
cared of but the last couple of years that has been by the local marina.
Many things have been done to the boat. New keel bolts, for example.

But, it still is a wood hull.

Question: is this boat worth investing time and energy in, how many
more years of life does the wooden hull have, will the boat need a
complete rebuild, etc...

Any and all thoughts.

Jasper