posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

Default Engine access

Did you ever spelunk the Butler Creek Cave system?

Amen!

wrote in message
oups.com...
While changing the oil on the Yanmar 2GM a few days ago I considered
how my boat seems to have both odd engine access and very good access
compared to their boats I have seen. Engine access in the 8.5M S2 is
via a large hatch in the quarter berth or via the cockpit locker. I
can easily reach all engine components and easily reach the stuffing
box. This is with a larger engine than is standard as I replaced the
original 1GM 2 yrs ago. With the 1GM, I could get into the engine
compartment and actually crawl all the way around the engine (being a
former caver, tight places do not give me claustrophobia). In fact, I
find myself wondering why S2 didnt make the quarter berth (already big
enough) larger because there is what seems to me to be a hanger sized
space behind the engine that is hardly used.
I wonder if the leaky stuffing boxes on most other boats is simply due
to poor access and if the reason why so many engines seem to be in poor
shape is for the same reason. I have to admit I did not plan this and
did not know of this accessibility before I bought the boat and I just
got lucky.