posted to rec.boats.paddle
Steven

Default Death by Eskimo Roll?

KMAN wrote:
"Andy Baxter" wrote in message

In Derek Hutchinson's book, "The Complete Book of Sea Kayaking", on page
48 while talking about nose clips he states "...in some cases sudden death
has been caused by water being driven up the nose". Really? It makes it
sound like we cheat death by not wearing a nose plug.

IMO the book is less than impressive, some interesting material, but a lot
of "look at me" stuff like he wants to score points to nail some kayaking
chicks.

Has anyone heard of death by water being driven up the nose while
kayaking?

never heard of this. i suppose one could be driven to gag, vomit, then
aspirate acidic fluid to get severe enough bronchoconstriction to
suffocate. this is highly unlikely, though. the lungs are *very* good
about keeping water out. in many cases people drown, not by inhaling
water, but simply by being underwater with closed lungs.

sounds like a bit of urban (or not so urban) legend.