Jeff

Default Cruising Internet access

Tamaroak wrote:
I'm looking at T Mobile and Verizon Broadband as a way to supplement
WiFi access in marinas as we do the Great Loop staring this summer.

I'm looking for opinions as to which is best and if there are other
options.

Capt. Jeff

I've used my GMS phone as a connection while on the boat. With a
bluetooth adapter, it acts like a modem, except that its connecting at
about 100 kbaud. Its frustrating if you're used to cable modem,but
faster than dialup.

I'm on Cingular using the $20/month unlimited data service. They
recently modified the agreement so that "tethered" usage (whether
wired or bluetooth) is not allowed, but I'm grandfathered in. They
would like me to use the $80 service.

T-Mobile has a $20 service that explicitly works tethered, but their
coverage is not quite as good, I'm told. T-mobile has a very nice
coverage map, where they can show street by street your expected signal.

In years gone by, I've had trouble using the cell phone on the water,
but the last year or so has been much better.