DSK

Default Why do people buy cruising catamarans ?

sherwindu wrote:
One question nobody has addressed yet is what happens when a cat
capsizes?

Oh c'mon, surely somebody has addressed that point?

Jeff wrote:
Since it appears to be "common knowledge" that cruising cats capsize
frequently, perhaps you can give us a few examples.

The truth is, it is a very uncommon event.

About as uncommon as monohulls rolling & sinking?

.... I've only heard of a half
dozen in the last 20 years, and half of those were delivery crews or
racers, carrying too much sail. In fact, none happened when laying to a
sea anchor. As someone else mentioned, fatalities are extremely rare.

And usually more related to hypothermia or trauma than
drowning. Still, morbid fear of dying is as unhealthy as any
other neurosis... you can lock yourself in a nice safe
padded room for decades and you'll still die... so you might
as well go & do something interesting!

I might guess that more cruising fatalities are from falling overboard
than from sinking or capsizing. This would imply that the more stable
platform is safer.

Good point, I wonder how the man overboard statistics
compare between mono- & multi-hulls.

There is no doubt that some people don't like the motion of a cat.

I don't my self... and BTW I have know cruising cats that
would spill a drink, contrary to claims that it never
happens. But of course, much much less frequently than on
monohulls.

... A
short, steep chop on the beam can be particularly annoying. The biggest
problem I have is that I end up handsteering in these cases, because a
firm hand on the wheel can make the ride dramatically smoother.

One significant point in these cases is that we're often doing 9 or 10
knots. When I've had a rough ride on a monohull we're often doing half
that speed.

That's because you're on the wrong monohull.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King