posted to alt.sailing.asa
John Cairns

Default Hey Doug check this out

"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...

Joe wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Resto...QQcmdZViewItem

I'm tempted to Buy it now.

That's a gorgeous boat, but it is wooden. Do you have any experience with
wooden boats? The general rule with older wood boats is that routine and
corrective maintenance will equal the purchase price every three or four
years, if done by a competent yard. Based on the relatively low price of
that boat, I'd say that estimate of maintenance is low.

That said, there's nothing quite like sailing a wooden boat. The sonorous
creaks and groans from the hull/deck/rig are worth the price of admission
alone.

Max

Don't know how he came about the conclusion, but I remember reading an
article a while back about the owner of a wooden boat, he claimed that it
was no more work maintenance-wise, than fiberglass. I still find this
difficult to believe.

John Cairns