posted to rec.boats.electronics
Garland Gray II

Default Choosing an onboard laptop computer-what should I look for ?

The Brits used to build cars w/ positive ground too. Up into the sixties.
We used to have some US built logging equipment, late sixties some of which
was positive ground.
Used to drive me crazy, guys would jump start "hot to hot, man" without ever
looking to see what hot was.

"Larry" wrote in message
"Garland Gray II" wrote in news:x6%wf.6522$CV.6302
@dukeread03:

Thanks Larry. Is this caveat a separate issue from my charging issue ?
Regarding the charging, I would certainly observe polarity. But it would
receive from a fixed GPS thru a serial port.

AS long as the GPS, a negative ground device is not hooked to a positive
ground computer, it'll be fine. This all is a throwback to Japanese
engineers. Cars in Japan used to all be POSITIVE ground, and so was their
electronics! They also drive on the wrong side of the road, except to our
UK friends...(c;