posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

Default Sirius and Ipod on Board

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message
ink.net...
Collins R-390 for home use.

Kenwood TS-140S for portable, plus it transmits. Good for marine use.

Icom R-1 for wideband portable.

Tektronix 2712 for wideband surviellance.

HP 8565 and 8555 for slightly higher frequency coverage.

For antennas I use magnetic loops, dipoles, log periodics, discones and
yagis.

Those portable little Grundigs lack input and IF filtering. I could run my
TS-140S right next to a livestock fence shocking system and completely
filter out the 10 kV impulses. The DAC shortwave I had (a cheapo) was
wiped out.

The TS-140S would be ideal for you. It's 100 watts SSB transmit.

The Icom R-1 is physically too small and has bands where the reception is
very poor. There's a few birdies in the thing also. The battery is small
also. The R-390 doubles as a great anchor.

Amen!

What's your ham call sign, Bob?

Max