posted to rec.boats.electronics
Dennis Pogson

Default Choosing an onboard laptop computer-what should I look for ?

wrote:
afpy wrote:
Thank You very much for your advice.I have been considering Dell's
Inspiron 6000 to do the job ,but having two laptops would be much
better choise for different tasks.I would look for a car computer.
What do you think about marinized computers? Are they'll do the job
of car comp. or better?Or worse?
Thanx
Apfy

I think one of the factors you have to be aware of is how well the
screen shows up in daylight.. a while back I talked to Dell about
there lap tops... basically their message was that any would do that
had a TFT screen and that the 6000 series did not have that required
screen... good luck.. Greg

Use an inverter, it's the easiest and cheapest option. The DC-DC converters
are very poor at handling voltage spikes from an alternator. A customer of
mine blew a Thinkpad system board last year by starting his engine from cold
with the laptop connected.

Dennis.