Paul Cassel

Default Westsail 32. Kit vs. Factory finished.

wrote:
Looking to buy a W 32 and thought I'd hand a question out to you old
salty's who may have known a W 32 or two in your day. Are there any
MAJOR differences in the westsail 32 kits and the factory finished
boats? I know the hulls are the same. And the deck layouts are
similar, based on how the "kit" buyers modified their own deck. I've
noticed the factory W 32's are more expensive due to a greater
attention to detail, i.e. interior casework, and craftsmanship. But,
are there any structural differences in the two? Deck to hull
connection? Or did the kits come with deck already attached to hull?
Any comments, facts or opinions would be helpful. And I don't need to
be redirected to the westsail webpage. I'm just trying to pick at the
R.B.C. demographic for answers. Thanks y'all.
Rob Minton

I built owned one. You can't compare because 'kits' came in everything
from a hull / deck unjoined to almost finished yachts. Also many 'kit'
owners hired pros to really custom the boat up while others tried it
themselves with different results.

Generally the resale on factory boats WAS higher, but today condition
and equipment should be king for pricing.

Barring a time capsule boat, any W32's today have had plenty of shakeout
time. A survey, even a casual one, will reveal all you need to know
about the desirability of the boat in question.