posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
muzz

Default Essential Kit

Yes I'm afraid I will still be going out alone! The Cromarty Firth is
physically very different from the open Firth of Forth. After seeing it
almost every day for the last 20 years that I have lived on it's
shoreline I have a pretty good idea of what it is capable of. I'm no
hero and have no qualms about changing or ditching a pre planned
paddle.
I winter hillwalk also and completed a walk in the holidays ( on my own
! ) that I had abandoned the previous year due to poor visibilty.
That said, I know I can still be caught out, we all can. Careful
consideration, local knowledge, common sense and as you say experience
must all be used in assessing the situation and reducing the risk. My
very stable boat helps too !
I do appreciate your concerns and value any advice. I hope I have gone
some way to making you believe that I am not a nutter.
I won't be going out today. Check the forecast for my area. :-)