Len

Default Cruising Internet access

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 23:24:11 -0800, Tamaroak
wrote:

I'm looking at T Mobile and Verizon Broadband as a way to supplement
WiFi access in marinas as we do the Great Loop staring this summer.
I'm looking for opinions as to which is best and if there are other options.

Capt. Jeff

Jeff,

Don't exacly know what _you_ mean by "the Great Loop" but I guess
it'll take you to Europe too.

Presently in the Netherlands I use T-mobile. I have a 19 euro's a
month subscription that allows me to log in on wifi hotspots. Combined
with a T-Mobile cell-phone subscription I pay 9 euro's in stead of 19
(for the wifi thats is, cell phone is apart).
No data-limit, 110 kBps downlink, 40 uplink. Here in Holland my
experience is: works great and 1% downtime. Only one minor
irritation: the automatic log-off every 6 hours.

T-Mobile provides a usb-stick that will do the job when distance to
marina- antenna is about 300 meters or less.
For a more distant access (at anchor fi) I am considering mounting an
omnidirectional antenna+waterproof receiver in the masthead so I can
lead a UTP cable that also privides the power to the receiver.
When you want I can provide you with details.

HTH, Len
S/v Present