Wayne.B

Default Diesel heater opinions wanted

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 01:02:54 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

I like the idea of a pipe running from the main fuel tank so that the
heater will simply run as long as there is fuel. However, all the
units that can be piped up this way seem to depend on 12 volts being
available and are a current draw.

===============================

Not sure how big an issue the 12 volt power is in actual practice. If
you are gearing up for serious cruising in the boondocks you will want
to beef up your electrical system in a fairly major way. 440 A-H is
about a bare minimum in my experience, especially if you have a lot of
toys. That should be enough to power a small heater through the night
with no problem.

The key to a reliable electrical system is plenty of reserve battery
capacity, and lots of redundancy for recharging (high capacity
alternator, solar panels, wind charger, etc.) In addition I like to
have one extra battery off to the side completely isolated for an
emergency jump start if needed.