Roger Long

Default Diesel heater opinions wanted

I want to put a bulkhead mount diesel heater in our Endeavor 32 and am
going round and round on the type. I’d like to hear some thoughts and
actual experience.

I like the idea of a pipe running from the main fuel tank so that the
heater will simply run as long as there is fuel. However, all the
units that can be piped up this way seem to depend on 12 volts being
available and are a current draw.

The idea of the heater being completely independent from electric
power is attractive but this seems to involve pumping up pressure
tanks. The idea of getting up in a cold boat in the middle of the
night to pull out a loose can of fuel, refill a tank, pump it up, and
get the heater going again doesn’t appeal.

The only thing I’m sure of is that I don’t want a drip pot burner set
up like I saw so many of on the West Coast years ago. I understand
they are heel sensitive and I’d like my boat to be warm and toasty
when I go below after sailing it hard. I'd also like it to not be too
warm and toasty. I've seen what happens when drip pots go wild.

I’m looking ahead to trips up around Newfoundland and Labrador so
reliability is important. I also plan some very late season sailing in
Maine with long periods aboard so I would like the heater to run long
periods with minimal attention.

--

Roger Long