posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
Rob

Default Essential Kit

Muzz, seriously, concerned! Just to put that into context, of the
"incidents" I know about from reading UKSKGB and the SCA incident reports,
and from other folk, I know of 4 in the Firth of Forth in the last 36
months. I know of one other (Summer Isles) last Easter.

You're not going out on your own - are you?

"muzz" wrote in message
Rob wrote:
you before you're likely to be dead.

Don't go alone - and don't go out in conditions beyond
your ability to cope - all the paddle floats in the world
won't save you in conditions that have put you in the
water in the first place. Competent mates and the
knowledge of how to get back in the boat might.

I live on the east coast where the sea temps are a little lower than the
west but it's usually not so windy, and I have been doing most of my
paddling in the Firth which does give more protection from inclement
weather. I totally agree that it would be difficult to get back into a
boat if conditions are bad enough to tip you out.
When I bought the gear at the shop today guess what the girl said ? You're
not going out on your own are you ?
I'll take the advice of the more experienced and if alone I'll stick to
the coast in the Firth when the forecast is good and also get on more club
trips. Three star training can't be far away.

--
Muzz
http://highlandmist.blogspot.com