posted to rec.boats.paddle,rec.boats.paddle.touring,rec.boats.paddle.whitewater
Bill Tuthill

Default TR: Rafting the Rio Grande

In rec.boats.paddle riverman wrote:

So you ran it just a few weeks ago? Give us a trip report!

Actually 20 years ago, but here is a belated trip report.

--- cut but do not paste ---

No sh*t, there we were, trying to drive over Deming pass, east of Lordsburg
New Mexico. Our low-slung sedan plowed the accumulated snow on the highway.
We had forgotten chains. Soon the Highway Patrol stopped traffic and told
everybody to turn around. They don't have snowplows down there, because
they seldom get this much snow.

The next day we were supposed to meet at Big Bend National Park to join
a rafting trip on the Lower Canyons of the Rio Bravo Del Norte, known
as the Rio Grande north of the border. We would miss put-in.

The snowstorm ended around midnight, so the road was passable the next day.
We finally arrived at Big Bend late in the afternoon. Fortunately there was
an overnight trip down Santa Elena Canyon the next day, so we joined that.
The weather was pretty nice at first. We camped at a beautiful spot near
the start of the canyon on river left. At night it got below freezing, so
we were happy to have a tent. The next day it warmed up during breakfast,
so our wetsuits were warm enough in the canyon. We scouted Rockslide Rapid
and had no problem running it. Late that afternoon we reached take-out,
where we were shuttled to an official campground before starting a Mariscal
or Boquillas Canyon trip the next day.

Mariscal or Boquillas Canyon (can't remember which) was even more beautiful
than Santa Elena, if that's possible. There were no rapids as cluttered
as Rockslide, but the desert scenery was very park-like in the sections
outside the canyon proper. The canyon was formed of green limestone
rather than the reddish sandstone of Santa Elena.

After the second night's camp, the weather started getting cold. Clouds
came in and although it didn't snow, it looked like it might. My wife
took the oars in order to warm up, and I stomped my feet in the front.
Late in the afternoon on the last day, the clouds finally passed over
and the sun came out again.

Somewhere in there we spotted some banditos on the right (Mexican) side.
They had guns but did not shoot at us. The raft guide said that a few
months back, some rafts had been fired upon. Although nobody was injured,
they got pretty nervous for a while there. And that's no sh*t.