Default Westsail 32. Kit vs. Factory finished.

This carefully crafted troll reflects one with a willingness to work
well enough to criticize his own abilities to assemble a kit, or the
skill of the one who assembled the one you may be considering.

I think I looked at one about 20 or so years ago.

The entire interior was covered in destroyer gray matt paint, even the
cushions.

Wonder how that came to be?

My wife hated it, so we continued shopping. It'd probably have been the
best boat I never owned. It was at anchor in Saint John, NB. We saw the
interior first, so weren't really looking at the gear. Ah well! It was
fitted for walt water. We never started the engine.

When you modify the boat to rig and sail as you want, it may resemble a
factory option layout you might like.

Sailors fix things that don't lead quite right, and whittle away at the
interiors, too.

To sail is to demand efficiency from your craft, and price is always
foremost. Who cares about looks? Who cares about getting the first
wench to enjoy it, too?

So many things determine the purchase of a boat.
It might be a good way to get away.

Any doubt about hull deck joins may be cleared up with a little glass
and goo. What are you going to do, shoulder giant waves at full speed?
Or, do you hope to outspeed lighter weight boats near home?

One expects that if you are a customer, you will decide whether you
want two trucks or one from the factory to your assembly facility. You
can likely get a sailaway hull, with little inside, beside the basic
plastic moulded bracing. With a cooler, campstove and sleeping bag, you
could camp out on the sailbags while you install the galley and gas
gague, etc.

Did you want the head installed? Engine? Do you want a job at the
factory to help? Will you stay to finish six boats for other people,
get some exprience and steal some production secrets while earning half
of your boat?

I thought large kits were negotiable.

For an engine, I think I once saw an out board motor fixed to a well
bottom plate with fittings for cooling and bilge pumping. Nice things
about that could be azipod steering and take it to the shop
maintenance. Only you know if you need to break ice in a greenland
hurricane headwind, or if you need only slide gently to and fro at the
marina, weekends. A nice quiet little genny in a lazarette could also
power a trolling motor, hot water and A/C.

Terry K