rhys

Default quality of Brig vs. Zodiac ????????

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 17:32:49 GMT, Jim wrote:

The cost of retubing will be about
$2,000, or about $3,000-$3,500 less than a new 310 cm. RIB.

A good used Caribe C-12 (12 ft, vs. 10 foot for the 310) should cost the
price you quote to "re-tube". You could still have the Caribe 10 years
from now, you will be re-tubing the Zodiac every couple of years.

I bought a new Avon 310 almost 20 years ago, used it heavily, and sold
it last year for about what it cost new.

Bought a used Caribe C-12 for what I sold the Avon for. Dollar for
dollar this is far better than replacing parts that you know you will be
replacing again.

My advice: buy a Hypalon boat.

Perhaps I wasn't clear: I would be retubing a Zodiac 310 RIB *with*
Hypalon...probably with these people, who have a good reputation.
http://www.torontoboatshow.ca/directory/?id=2301

Also, 12 feet and 212 pounds empty is too large for my needs. I can
haul the 10 foot RIB awkwardly, but it's just over 100 pounds, and so
is not crazy to haul aboard if the engine and tank and battery is out.

I wouldn't buy PVC again, but if you can show me a Hypalon 10-foot RIB
for $2,000, I'd love to see it.

R.