posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Scumbalino

Default Any thoughts onhow to make this boat better

Dave Doe wrote:

Yer just getting pedantic - yer know what I mean/meant.

Nope. How do I know if you understand the physics involved, other than by
assessing what you write?

(Yes, if *any* water in the ballast is above the waterline, it will
provide righting moment - pedantic chit aside - if this *ISN'T* the
case, is there any righting moment?)

I guess there could be as a result of increasing bouancy - if the water
ballast at rest is below the surface, then a certain amount of heel might be
such that the ballast stays below the surface, but, depending on hull shape,
heeling might tend to increase the amount of air below the surface, with an
effect not unlike the righting moment induced by a counterbalancing weight.

--
Capt Scumbalino