posted to rec.boats.electronics
Offbreed

Default SCR controlled bilge pump

Me wrote:
In article ,
Offbreed wrote:

Well, yes, that can be a problem, but I think SCRs can be shut off by
changing the bias of the gate circuit.

I don't think the above is the case for SCR's. Once triggered into
conduction, they stay in conduction untill the current flow thru the
device is interupted external to the device. All the SCR's that I
have ever used seem to work this way. You mileage may vary.....

I misread what someone wrote about a home brew phone circuit, and got
the gate current mixed with the holding current. The holding current in
his circuit was not enough to keep the SCR conducting so he had to keep
a bias on the gate, with the first SCR he tried, one I have on hand, so
I thought I might be able to use it on the pump.

My error.