posted to alt.sailing.asa
Dave Doe

Default Any thoughts onhow to make this boat better

In article .com,
says...
I have been getting interested in building this boat:
http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/cormorant/
Of course, I have to finish the Tolman Skiff first, but a trailerable
water ballast sailboat that I can build to my needs is attractive to me
but I have some concerns
1. Do water ballasted boats tend to be exceptionally "tippy" before
they are filled?
2. Could this be alleviated by including a few hundred lbs of lead
sheeting along the bottom?
Any other useful thoughts? Yes, I know you do not save money by
building boats but its become an obsession.

I have a couple a questions...
1. How much water ballast (approx litres) does it take to equal say
200lbs of lead hanging 6' down (on say a swing keel)?

2. How much righting moment does a water ballasted boat provide given
the ballast is below the waterline?

And a cheeky Q3? - How much does water weigh - in water?

--
Duncan
[Farr 7500 'Hi-Time' http://hitime.no-ip.info]