posted to rec.boats.electronics
Jack Erbes

Default Newbie GPS Question - what's the best handheld for car, boatand walking.

ted wrote:

snip
I would recommend the Garmin Legend ($140) if saving money or small size is
important. I would recommend the Garmin GPS map 60 ($250) if you want a
unit with a larger display, faster microprocessor, more memory for loading
maps and an auto routing capability. snip

Garmin just recently released a line of "x" models (60cx, etc.) that use
removable flash memory (TransFlash or Micro-SD cards) to expand the
memory for data and map storage. Those are just now getting on the
street and, for many GPS users, the expandable memory will add a lot of
usefulness and flexibility to a handheld GPS.

You may be in doubt about your need for expansion memory now. But if
you are thinking you want to use the GPS for multiple purposes
(street/highway, topo, on the water, etc.) you'll definitely benefit
from getting it now.

If the budget it on the tighter side, a used or closeout buy on a
Magellan Meridian series might be a good choice. The Meridians are
competitive with the Garmins and have been using SD cards for expansion
memory for a long time.

Magellan should probably be given credit for driving Garmin to add
expansion memory to their handhelds also for their finally abandoning
their proprietary data cards for an open market media. If it was not
for us consumers voting with out wallets these companies would never do
the right thing.

Now if we can just drive them to marketing a good waterproof and
ruggedized handheld that allows us to use open architecture mapping...

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)