Dan Krueger

Default Yikes! Consumer Electronic Rip...

Harry Krause wrote:

Eisboch wrote:

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

I finally got around to looking at the manuals for a TV set and DVD
player we have, and noticed there was a "new" way to hook them up
together, with an "HDMI" cable. The cable is supposed to provide the
highest possible video quality from a DVD to the TV set, and it also
carries audio signals.

$100+ for the manufacturer's branded cable, same price for a
"Monster" cable. Unbelievable. The fittings on the cable sort of
resemble the flat ones on a USB cable, but they are not the same.

$100, for what I am sure is a perfectly ordinary cable. I had no idea
SONY had been taken over by the boating industry.

Anyway, I shopped around for a while, and found a no-name supplier
who has the cable for *only* $35. Sheesh. For a 6' cable with two
50-cent ends on it.

I just purchased (yesterday) a Sony DVD player with the HDMI "up
conversion" feature It is advertised to play a DVD in "near HD"
quality. The 6 foot cable cost more than the DVD unit.

My son recently goaded me into this High Def TV thing. I've passed on
it for years because I simply don't watch that much television. But,
off we went to buy a Samsung HD plasma TV and called the cable company
to pick up the new HD cable box. Spent a few hours mounting the TV
and hooking everything up and .....

WOW! I am converted. The one bad thing is that after watching a
program in HD, it is difficult to go back and watch a regular cable
channel.

BTW - even though DVDs are not HD, the HDMI cable and Sony's "up
conversion" feature seems to work. I can detect a very small but
noticeable improvement over the three cable component connections.

Eisboch

Yeah, I have a SONY HD and a SONY DVD with the up conversion, too. But I
didn't read the manual, so I used the "component" method of hookup. My
HDMI cable is on the way.

Sony has a factory in the US? I thought you would be a Curtis Mathes fan.

Dan