K. Smith

Default do you have compulsory EPIRBS yet??

Capt John wrote:
Their only required on commercial and charter boats here in the states.
And they are expensive, in the area of $1000, give or take a few
hundred. They don't make much sense for near shore, but I run 60 to 100
miles off, so I have one, a raft, and an SSB. Death of natural causes
is one of my goals in life.

A good goal it is too Capt!!! although it's not in life.

Here even boats blown ashore or coastal islands can be in a remote place
so the EPIRBS have been law for at least 15yrs in most states.

I can't explain why they're so expensive there though?? I think yours
transmit a special code or some such however they still seem expensive
compared to our costs. Below is a link to a local chandlers just put in
EPIRBS

http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_home.asp