Default what holds the boom up? (when the sail's down)

My fixed topping lift is adjustable at the boom end with a knot. Once
set it is never a problem, except once or twice I have seen it
hourglassed around the backstay, but it has never posed a problem as it
is free to come loose easily when the boom is not near the centerline.
It seldom touches the leech, and I cannot see it causing chafe except
when sail trim and boat heading is neglected downwind.

I prefer a permanent wire fixed topping lift from masthead to boom end
with adjustable pennant at the boom end for several reasons, amongst
them :

Man overboard retreival - using the boom end, mainsheet tackle and
vang / preventer, it is already set up for instant use if needed. It is
also useful for other lifting chores as required.

Dropping main sail - the boom is not a problem, it's ready, aye, ready.
The boom is never low enough to conk your head unless you stand on a
cockpit seat.

Lowering the mast - release the boom gooseneck, snap the spinnaker pole
on to the end of the boom, secure boom gooseneck and other end of
spinnaker pole to stanction bases, and the mast is ready to lower
foreward, using the main sheet and a pennant to extend the main tackle.
Release the after lower shrouds and the backstay, pull aft on the
headstay, and you can do it all by yourself, if the boat is not rolling
too much.

Sailing - With a topping lift, the boom vang need never support the
boom, so it can be a lighter, less expensive tackle, rigged to be
useful as a preventer. Don'chya love stuff that does double duty?

The weight aloft of a single moderate duty wire lift is not a concern
to me, it is only a few ounces effective weight at the top and there is
little windage, especially since it is spiralled wire.

Terry K

I hate this format, google groups, my netscape mailer is better, but
Rogers has stopped usegroups, so I must web it, with only one reply
open at a time, no spel chequing, and an awkward presentation, or go
back to dial up. Crrrap! It's airtenly not Scottish!